Monday, December 15, 2008

Paradise Now


Director: Hany Abu-Assad
Year: 2005
Cast: Kais Nashif, Ali Suliman, Lubna Azabal.
Rating: ***1/2 (out of ****)


Here I am, good five hours after watching this wonderful, thought provoking cinema taking a sip of warm coffee and a thought suddenly hits me. I had just seen one of the disturbing ending to a motion picture in recent past. The drama created (I don't know whether it's based on true events or not still the backdrop is totally inspired by real world situations) only helps the plot. Except for some needless cat-dog chasing coincidences, everything is spot on and nothing seems redundant. So unsettling that made me more of a pessimist (I hate to say so though) about the future of humanity, a value we cherished for centuries, the value that form the very basis of us being human. I started getting this feeling that an eye for an eye is going to make this world blind. Or has it?

2 comments:

Sree said...

I think this is the first time you have given 4.5 out of 4 to some movie?

To ease your pessimism, I would like to bring your attention to the fact that the ending was open to interpretation. So concentrate on this one word: HOPE.

Sadanand Renapurkar said...

Though it was open, it was dangerously implying the helplessness of a person in that very predicament. The eye-for-an-eye phenomenon still haunts us. And if the current wake of events around the globe is any indication (with utter stupidity, cowardice and propaganda of our esteemed "world leaders” where rationality is a rare word), we are compelled to expect more attacks on humanity. That leaves me into darkness. An ever-growing darkness.

Sadanand