Saturday, November 8, 2008

You Don't Mess with the Zohan


Director: Dennis Dugan
Year: 2008
Cast: Adam Sandler, John Turturro, Emmanuelle Chriqui.
Rating: Half Star (out of ****)

Oh Finally! I've just watch the worst movie I've watched in recent time. No, not Hancock, this one here. The last one would be Sandler's forgettable Reign Over Me.

I question the sensibilities of anyone who liked this film. I hated the movie with all my living guts. I hated the audacity of the filmmakers that someone can actually get entertained by such crap (and audacity of a filmmaker is not always a bad thing). I was surprised and anguished to see some reviewers praising this movie as entertaining as Sandler does almost anything to entertain us. Who cares? I don't. I'm sure you wouldn't either.

Adam Sandler is this Israel's super cop, Zohan Dvir having many super powers (from jumping from buildings to swimming like a super-fish). He is frequently used by the security agencies for specified tasks. He has this desire to become a hair stylist since forever. Off he goes to USA to follow his dreams. Falls in love with beautiful Palestinian girl Dalia (Emmanuelle Chriqui). Now, you may say, it seems fine. The problem lies in the way the filmlakers chose to make it. In such a vulgar, disgusting and yes, stupid way. Only sane thing he keeps on saying is, "but when will this (Israel- Palestine conflict) end?" Finding the solution of that conflict here will be like finding a sea pearl in a gutter. Although I don't think it was an intention of the makers. This half star if for a little fun I had watching well choreographed but very sporadic fight sequences. I don't want to say anything further as it's just not worth it.

No comments: